Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christchurch

The flights into Christchurch went pretty smoothly. We just had a slight delay out of Auckland, into Christchurch due to some rain. The weather has cleared up nicely and today is a beautiful day.

We had our Antarctic clothing issue at 1:00 today. I was issued my big red parka and white bunny boots, so I am ready to head to the Ice. We are scheduled to fly to the Ice tomorrow with an early check-in time of 4:30 am. If all goes well, we should depart at 7:00 am. From what I hear, we are scheduled to fly on a C-17. If I remember correctly, that should mean about a 4-5 hour flight to the Ice (since starting to write this entry, I have been informed that we will be delayed for 24 hours).

I had some time after our clothing issue to wander around Christchurch. I decided to take a walk to the Botanical Gardens and take some photos. I stumbled across the Canterbury Museum which had an exhibit of photographs from the early Scott and Shackleton exhibitions to Antarctica (from approximately 1910-1916). The photos were quite stunning and I was amazed that the photographers were able to achieve such clarity on glass negatives. Not to mention, the effort it took to transport the negatives back to Europe. The photographs are a part of the Royal Photograph Collection and will only be in New Zealand for a short time. I felt fortunate to stumble across it today.


2 comments:

  1. Excited you are doing this again! Hope your flight to the ice went smoothly.

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete